Sunday, December 14, 2008

CPSIA Amigurumi For Adults?

Discuss here: http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5956002

This is from the Child Safety Protection Act, which the new law references.
Intention isn't everything, and apparently, just slapping a "not for children
under 12" tag on your product won't solve the problem.

CHILDREN’S
PRODUCT.--The term “children's product” means a consumer product designed or
intended primarily for children 12 years of age or younger. In determining whether a consumer product is primarily intended for a child 12 years of age or younger, the following factors shall be considered:
(A) A statement by a manufacturer about the intended use of such product, including a label on such product if such statement is reasonable.
(B) Whether the product is represented in its packaging, display, promotion, or advertising as appropriate for use by children 12 years of age or younger.
(C) Whether the product is commonly recognized by consumers as being intended for use by a child 12 years of age or younger.
(D) The Age Determination Guidelines issued by the Commission staff in September 2000, and any successor to such guidelines.


Honestly, until a few months ago, I didn't even consider my items as things children would use. It may sound stupid or naive, but I figured adults were my main client and it wasn't until a customer mentioned purchasing one of my amigurumi for her child that I even realized parents would buy these for children. I buy amigurumi for myself and you can look thru my purchases to see that as an adult, I collect these items.Now more than ever, perhaps I should take out any tags or mention of children in my listings. I really don't have children in mind when I make or market my items. In fact, in talking to my consumers, I know the majority of my items have went for adult use (wedding centerpieces, gifts, desk sitters). That, and the fact that some of my items are clearly for adults (pills, animals chopped in half, etc.) is this really something I need to worry about for my shop, if I am more clear and consistent with my labeling and intended audience?

Save Handmade Toys

No comments: