Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Featured Shops With Stay At Home Moms

I wanted to ask my fellow SAHM and Etsy sellers a bit about how they run things with children.

Today I will feature two of these great Etsians: Kymsart777 and oldbagcrafts

First up is Kymsart777:
Q.Being a SAHM, what are the financial goals for your etsy store? (To help support your family? To just support your craft? Etc.)
A. My financial goals are ultimately to have a successful business which is profitable, productive and enjoyable! I have had several crafts businesses in the past, one in particular was extremely profitable...but at the time, my kids were little and the money simply was not worth the time that it took away from my family. I decided to close at that time and about 2 years later, started my Etsy business. At present, I reinvest most of my profits back into my business...I have high hopes that I will soon be able to maintain a profit.

Q. Do your children help at all in your crafting or etsy store? If they aren't old enough, do you plan on having them help when they are older?
A. My children have always helped me with my business. We used to joke that they would be born at a crafts fair or covered in glitter and glue! They always come up with ideas and I listen with open ears! I bounce ideas off of them as well. They help more as they get older, and have always been a part of helping with crafts fairs, promoting and the like. My oldest daughter has just started her own jewelry business...I have to get her to open a store on Etsy!

Q. Do you have any tips for balancing children with an at-home job?
A. For me, home and family are always first...Always! I have taught my kids to respect what I do as "work", often people assume that because you are at home, and crafting, that it is just a hobby. I have a dedicated space that is for my "work", and treat my home business as I would any other. I get up, get dressed for work, and close up shop in the evening for family time. I give myself vacation time and sick days...It helps. My family knows that this is my "job", and respect that fact. It helps to make sure there are boundaries, but that my family feels a part of what I am doing. We celebrate the highs, and work through the lows together. Like I said though, Family is first..that is why I am a SAHM.


No comments: