Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Great Interview!

Q. Being a SAHM, what are the financial goals for your etsy store? (To help support your family? To just support your craft? Etc.)
A. I do want to make a serious business out of my it and hopefully (one day) be able to help out with the money I earn. Right now, any little bit I make goes back into supplies.

My husband, Julian is very good at helping me balance my business finances. We keep very strict records on what I spend and what I make. We also have a plan and goals for the business. We are aware that seeing a profit might take time.


Q. Do your children help at all in your crafting or etsy store? If they aren't old enough, do you plan on having them help when they are older?
A. My 10 year old, Julio loves to do whatever I am doing. I love to work with him because he is so willing to learn. My 13 year old (Caleb) is not very crafty and prefers action games and sports. Daisy, my 8 year old is too busy being the boss to do crafts. She does prefer scrapbooking and paper crafts, but she prefers to work alone.


Q. Do you have any tips for balancing children with an at-home job?
A. Well, I homeschool as well as run a business out of my home, so I have had to learn to balance many tasks at once.

My advice would be to always put the family things first. After the kids have done their school work, hubby's lunch has been fixed and the household chores are done, then let everyone know that you are working....Take it seriously. If it is going to be a business, it has to be treated like one.

My family knows that when I say I will be in my work room "Working" it is "Do Not Disturb Mom" time. My 13 year old is very helpful when it comes to keeping the 2 youngest in line when I am busy working.

Also, never take on too much work at once. Go at an even steady pace and don't expect to get rich quick.
Thanks Renee!

1 comment:

Nora said...

Hi Lisa...you have such a cool blog and your items in your shop are awesome!!

I have officially tagged you; please check out this post to see what I mean:

http://noradora.wordpress.com/